Welcome to Scraps By Oreo's Meow. If you've arrived here to take a look at what I can do for your precious photos through Scrap For Hire, please visit the "My Pages" section, in the sidebar located to the right. Thank you for stopping by!


Thursday, September 22, 2011

Wow! Found some old photos...

and some are of my dad, so I HAD to scrap those!  And I used Kelly-Jo's Scraps' new kit called (appropriately!) That's My Dad.  Terrific kit, really versatile, and not only for dad-related scraps, it can definitely be used for any scrap where you're looking for nice, clean lines.

Here's K-Jo's preview of the kit:


See what I mean?  Great colors, not "dad"-exclusive at all, but also not girly-girl looking!

Here are two pages I made using the kit.  The first is NOT my dad, LOL!, it's a photo I found at a royaltry-free photo site, and I loved it...


And this IS my dad:


It really does show all the things he loved most in this world...my mom, flight, work (because it involved flight), home (because it involved my mom), traveling and friends (because both involved flight mostly, LOL!).  For those of you who don't know me personally from childhood (which would be, oh, 99.99999% of you), my dad learned to fly during WWII as it was always something he wanted to do, and joining the Civil Pilot Training Program. He received his license in 1941 and joined the U.S. Naval Reserves in 1942.  My dad went to the Pacific Theater, where he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.  From there, he worked for several commercial airlines before being hired by Eastern Airlines, where he rose through the ranks to become a Captain, retiring in 1981. Daddy wasn't happy at all about that - his 60th birthday was NOT a celebration - but he started flying general aviation and taught ground school classes.  He gave up his license voluntarily in his 80s, realizing that he could no longer fly...and this, I truly believe, broke his heart and started his slow decline.

Oh yeah, and somewhere in there (during the war), he met my mom while on leave at home, and they got married...but only after a LONG period of VERY long-distance, occasional dating, while he tried to establish himself at a commercial airline.  And in all the years they were married, they never, ever had a serious disagreement or argument - they had a truly remarkable marriage.  *sigh*  I miss my dad.

Anyway...head over to Angel Baby Scraps to pick up this kit - it's on sale for a limited time! - you'll be glad you did!


Scraps By Oreo's Meow

1 comment:

  1. It is delightful..Really Beautiful. Lots of love from Italy..Claudia xoxxo

    ReplyDelete